Colour Satin: The luscious tape machine plugin
Nothing else quite sounds like tape. Satin puts the legacy of tape recording in your hands: from top-of-the-line multi-track consoles to humble cassette decks. All the good (saturation, transient smoothing, compression) as well as the bad(noise modulation, flutter, hiss) qualities are under your control. Construct your (im)perfect tape machine.
Once reserved for major studios, digital recording has become widespread. It offers pristine sound and comfortable editing at a fraction of the cost of multitrack tape. Despite all the advantages, however, digital audio can easily sound too clean and impersonal. So musicians, producers and audio engineers have turned to traditional analogue tools to bring some life back into overly clinical recordings. A world of non-linear behaviours, distortion, saturation and much more arises during tape recording and playback. Bringing these coveted characteristics of magnetic tape into the digital realm, in unprecedented quality—this is what Satin is all about.
Plugin Features At a Glance.
- Lush analogue tape sound
- Includes historical developments in tape technology
- Control up to 8 instances of Satin at once using the Group panel
- 5 popular noise reduction encoder / decoder models
- Service panel: Controls for hiss, wow and flutter, bias, head gap, azimuth, saturation, high frequency compression and more
- Modern or vintage tape material
- Internal sample rate up to 384kHz
- 5 circuit models for recording and reproduction EQs
- Stereo delay mode (2 or 4 heads) with multiple-mono, cross or ping-pong routing
- Tape flange mode with classic through-zero flanging
- Adjustable tape speed from 1.87 to 30ips
- Pre-emphasis and soft clipping options
- Preset browser with search functions
- NKS FX compatible
- Resizable UI from 70% to 200%
- Skinnable UI
- 120+ factory presets
That tape sound depends on interaction between the various parts of a tape machine. Each contributes in one way or another—enhancing, reducing, combining—to generate the final sound.
Satin models individual components and lets them interact in the same way. For maximum flexibility in sound shaping, Satin is a toolkit of alternative parts, not an emulation of a single machine. Build your own custom tape unit. The perfect final sheen for your mixdown, or “glue” multiple drum tracks together, decode old NR-encoded cassette tape, or misuse Satin for extreme effects.
Imagine opening up a tape machine, peeking “under the hood” and tinkering with the parts. That is what service technicians used to do, and it is what the Service Panel in Satin is for. It gives you detailed control over some of the more esoteric and characterful elements.
In the Tape section are perhaps the more readily identifiable attributes of tape recording: hiss, asperity, wow & flutter, crosstalk and bias. Dial in a little of each for a retro vibe or “glue”. Dial in the extreme settings and you can end up with the sound of poor quality tape left in someone’s basement far too long.
Quickly find your presets with the in-built preset management.
Plugin available in the VST2, VST3, Audio Unit (AU) and AAX* plug-in formats and is an M1 compatible synth plugin.
AUv2, VST2, VST3, 64-bit only
temporarily no AAX (read more)
VST2, VST3, AAX*
Plugin System Requirements:
- Host Digital Audio Workstation (DAW)
- 1GB RAM, more recommended
- 50MB free disk space
- 1000 × 600 or larger display
- Modern CPU required:
- Windows/Linux: Intel Nehalem or newer, AMD Bulldozer or newer
- Mac: Intel Nehalem or newer, Apple M1
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.